Pages

Monday 16 July 2018

INFLUENCES FROM OUTSIDE COMICS

I grew up reading The New Yorker cartoons... many of them, including those enigmatic ones by Saul Steinberg, William Steig and Gahan Wilson intrigued me, puzzled me and ultimately were very influential.







Also a big influence on my approach has been British illustrator Quentin Blake--who illustrated all the Roald Dahl children's books--which also hugely affected my mentality! I didn't really take into account how much Quentin Blake's sketchy and loose yet vital, imaginatively charged line provided a model to me until I was recently looking at my completed MEDITATION graphic novel, trying to figure out why it is that my drawing style looks so different from the norms of most other North American comics--but still looks within the acceptable norms of illustration to me (if no-one else.)




No comments:

Post a Comment