Pages

Tuesday 30 July 2013

Krazy Kat's dharma cartoons

I am just now discovering the beauty of George Herriman's "Krazy Kat" comic strip.  I guess I saw them when I was younger, but it never hit me until now that Herriman is probably the greatest cartoonist who ever lived . (Same with the Velvet Underground in music... but that's another story!) 

Here are a few strips from 1920 (courtesy of The Kat Who Walked in Beauty--The Panoramic Dailies of 1920, Derya Ataker Ed., Fantagraphics, 2007) showing that Herriman was also a man of great spiritual wisdom!


(in which phenomena are shown to be malleable and inconstant)
 
 

 
(in which our journey in this body is shown to be temporary)
 
 
 
(in which everything is shown to be imaginary--"oh, what a world!")
 
 
 
(in which Krazy's essential nature is shown to be furthest from his own mind...!)
 
 

 
(in which compassion triumphs, vis-à-vis karma!)
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment